Front of First Steps
Click the image above to open brochure.
How do I begin my Legacy of Faith?
  • Pray!
  • Gather important documents and put them in a safe place.  Tell someone where they are.
    • Life Insurance Policies (make sure beneficiary is correct)
    • Association Memberships that may have life insurance benefits
    • IRA/401(k)/Annuity Statements
    • Pension Benefits
    • Homeowner/Car Insurance Policies
    • Bank/Credit Union Information
    • Car/Truck Titles
    • Birth Certificates
    • Marriage License
    • Social Security Information
    • Will
    • Durable Power of Attorney
    • Medical Power of Attorney
    • Living Will
    • Military Records
    • Medical Records
    • Passports
    • Personal Records Book
  • Do a simple Estate Plan.
  • Discern what assets you want to leave your family, to your church and to other Ministry Causes
  • If you have small children, choose a Guardian for them.
  • Prepare a Will (identifying where you choose to leave your assets), Durable Power of Attorney, Health Care Power of Attorney and a Living Will (if you do not have these already in place).
  • As you may make changes throughout your life, make sure to keep only the most current documents.
  • Review your estate plan every few years.

With proper planning, a greater amount of the resources God has entrusted to you can be passed on to your family, your church and other ministries you care about.  There is no “one” way to establish a legacy of faith.  There is a “right” way and that is through seeking God’s direction and creating an estate plan that honors Him after your death.  There are various ways and means to leave your gifts, but those should be discussed after you have sought God’s direction for your giving.

In the absence of a will, all the decisions about your assets come under the authority of federal, state and local governments.  Fail to make these decisions while you are of sound mind and they could be decided for you by a representative of the government.

Neither the author nor the publisher of this publication is engaged in rendering legal or tax advisory service.  For advice and assistance in specific cases, the services of an attorney or other professional person should be obtained.  The purpose of this publication is to provide accurate and authoritative information of a general character only.